Wouldn’t it be great if there was a way to eat that helped you maintain your ideal weight?
And wouldn’t it be even better if I told you the diet to ideal weight loss was healthy, natural and promote overall well-being?
The diet I am speaking of is the Paleo diet.
The Paleo Diet is a diet approach focused on consuming whole foods, fresh vegetables, seasonal fruits, quality proteins and healthy fats.
The diet itself naturally decreases the consumption of processed foods, added sugars and salt.
The Paleo diet is meant to resemble the diets of our hunter-gatherer ancestors thousands of years ago. It is now known as ancestral nutrition and it has many health benefits.
Research has shown that the Paleo diet is results in increased weight loss (without calorie counting)1.
The results of one research study showed that when 14 subjects were put on a Paleo diet for 3 weeks they lost an average of 5 pounds and their body mass index and waist circumference also decreased1.
When it comes to shedding stubborn pounds, visceral fat (fat stored around the organs) is harder to lose than subcutaneous types (under the skin). Research has shown that the Paleo diet reduces visceral fat on a long-term basis2.
This same research study concluded that after two years the Paleo diet had lasting effects on fat mass and abdominal adiposity as well as significantly beneficial impacts on triglyceride levels2.
The Paleo diet is good for weight maintenance and overall health improvement.
Always remember when we advocate this diet, we recommend an organic, Paleo diet. There are numerous health benefits to going organic.
5 Reasons why an organic, Paleo diet will help you maintain your ideal weight:
- 1. Provides a good amount of protein
- Protein is a major macronutrient needed for sustainable weight loss. It keeps you satiated (feeling fuller longer) and reduces appetite. It also helps to regulate several weight-related hormones. The Paleo diet is rich in proteins like grass-fed meats, pasture-raised eggs and wild-caught fish. Usually, 20-35% of an individual’s Paleo diet will be protein.
- 2. Low in carbohydrates
- The Paleo diet naturally reduces your carbohydrate intake by eliminating grains like bread, pasta and potatoes. Reducing your carbohydrate intake naturally decreases your caloric intake. Research has consistently shown that low-carbohydrate diets lead to significantly more weight loss long-term than low-fat diet interventions3. A low-carbohydrate diet like the Paleo diet is better than a low-fat diet for weight loss and weight management. Another study looking at weight loss at 6 months and at a year revealed that a low-carbohydrate diet, high-protein diet is more effective than a low-fat diet in keeping weight off and decreasing Cardiovascular Disease risk4.
- 3. Reduces caloric intake
- In order to lose weight successfully, you must reduce caloric intake. In order to maintain your ideal weight, you must maintain caloric balance. The Paleo diet does both things. It is rich in foods that are satiating and nutrient dense. As a result of consuming nutrient-rich, filling foods, you crave and eat less food naturally leading to weight maintenance. Research has shown that the Paleo diet also plays a role in stimulating the production of key hormones that regulate appetite and keep you feeling fuller for longer thereby reducing risk for obesity5.
- 4. Gets rid of processed foods
- The Paleo diet naturally eliminates processed foods that contain additives, chemicals and foreign ingredients. The high intake of cheap, non-nutritional, processed foods is one of the biggest causes of the obesity epidemic we see today. Processed foods will hinder maintaining your ideal weight. Processed foods are high in calories, low in nutrients and contain a slew of toxic additives. Toxins in the body create inflammation and lead to fat storage as a protective mechanism. When losing weight and keeping it off, clean eating through an organic, Paleo diet is the way to go. Additionally, an occasional liver detox is a must.
- 5. Eliminates refined sugars
- Refined sugar is high in calories and low in nutrients and in excess, refined sugar contributes to weight gain. There is no doubt about it. The Paleo diet eliminates added sugars and instead allows for natural sources of sugars from fruits and vegetables. When you’re eating fresh fruits and vegetables that contain natural sugar the body can better tolerate these sugar types. This is because there are other nutrients in fruits and vegetables like fiber, vitamins and water, which slow down sugar absorption and help the body to regulate blood sugar levels naturally. The simple act of cutting out artificial, added sugars through a Paleo diet aids in weight maintenance long-term.
Are you ready to go Paleo for the New Year? Here are six more reasons why the Paleo diet is right for you and your waistline.
If your New Year’s resolution is to lose weight naturally and keep it off, here are sample Paleo meal plans based on caloric intake to help.