Most of us have experienced shortness of breath when engaged in strenuous physical activity. But when shortness of breath happens doing simple activities, like taking out the trash, it’s a concern.
People often describe feeling “winded” or not able to “catch” their breath. In medical terminology, shortness of breath is known as dyspnea.
A sudden onset of shortness of breath can indicate a serious medical condition, especially when accompanied by other symptoms like chest pain, confusion, dizziness, passing out, fainting, coughing up blood or mucus. If you experience shortness of breath with these symptoms, treat it as a life-threatening medical condition and seek emergency medical attention.
What Causes Shortness of Breath?
Physical, psychological and even environmental conditions can contribute to shortness of breath. A panic attack or poor air quality could trigger symptoms. As a cardiologist, I have seen many different heart conditions that cause shortness of breath as the first symptom.
Aside from heart problems, the three main causes of shortness of breath I see in my office are obesity, poor physical conditioning and environmental pollutants.
Some medical conditions that can cause shortness of breath include:
- Coronary artery disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Emphysema and Asthma
- Kidney and liver disease
Like with any medical condition, once we know the cause, we can focus on the cure. Let’s look at natural treatment options to cure shortness of breath.
Natural Treatments for Shortness of Breath
Once your holistic physician has ruled out a life-threatening medical condition, it’s time to treat the three main causes of shortness of breath.
Here’s what to do:
- Eat only organic Paleo foods. These foods help your body maintain an ideal weight. It is not a diet. It is a nutrition plan for health. By eating Paleo only foods, you avoid sugars, processed foods, gluten and other so-called foods that are destroying your health. People who eat Paleo only foods are never obese and are at ideal body weight. You also need to eat only organic foods. Organic means that your food has not been sprayed with poisonous pesticides or raised with antibiotics that invade your body and harm your health. Wild seafood only, grass-fed, free range meats.
- Get active. You need at least 30 minutes of outdoor activity each day. Outdoors allows you to gain the health benefits of sunshine while avoiding the toxic cleaning products that are prevalent in most indoor gyms. Walk, run, hike or swim. Jump rope. Do body weight activities like pushups and planks to build strength.
- Avoid environmental toxins. Most household cleaning and personal care products are loaded with poisonous toxins. Get rid of commercial air fresheners, rug deodorizers, and candles. Use only toxin-free products in your home and on your body. If it is not natural, do not use it. Here’s a list of things we use in our home.
- Get adjusted. Limitation of the spine, bones, and muscles affect your breathing. The coordinated effort of your body to breath in and out is easily thrown out of balance. See your DC and get back in balance.
- Take nutritional supplements. With deteriorating soil and air quality, it’s nearly impossible to get all the vitamins and minerals we need for good health from food alone. That’s why nutritional supplements are a must for good health. In addition to our Foundation 5, we recommend these three supplements to help with shortness of breath:
- Gluta Boost – Glutathione is necessary for detoxification and healthy organs. When it comes to maintaining healthy lungs, it is hard to beat the benefits of cranking up glutathione.
- Heart Beet – Organic beetroot powder is just what the doctor ordered. By boosting nitric oxide, beetroot improves blood flow and oxygenation of tissues.
- Magnesium Glycinate – Given the fact that magnesium is involved in hundreds of different reactions in the body, it is no surprise that it is essential for healthy lung function. Relax your airways and let the oxygen rush in with this magnesium supplement.
See Our Collection of Premium Supplements Effective Against Shortness of Breath ►