We see people from all over the world with a wide variety of complaints. From chest pain to shortness of breath, from abdominal pain to headaches, these complaints can be from life-threatening causes. But the fact is, many times these symptoms are just a manifestation of anxiety.
Anxiety is a feeling of anxiousness, unease or worry. It’s a nervous disorder with excessive apprehension and uneasiness. The doctor must rule-out the serious stuff before calling your symptoms anxiety.
What Causes Anxiety?
- Mental conditions – Panic, stress and phobic disorders are often accompanied by anxiety.
- Medical conditions – Heart attack, heat stroke and hypoglycemia are accompanied by anxiety.
- Prescription medications – A common side effect of Big Pharma meds is anxiety.
- Poor nutrition – It stands to reason that when your diet is poor, you are more likely to feel anxious. The Standard American Diet is full of sugar. Sugar is proven to make anxiety worse and to lessen your ability to cope with stress.
- Drug use – Illicit drugs like cocaine cause anxiety.
- Stress – Work, school, finances, relationships, health or emotional trauma can cause stress and anxiety.
- Environmental pollutants – When you are polluted from your surroundings with heavy metals, VOC’s, and synthetic particles, your mental health will suffer. Unfortunately, poor mental health is strongly related to cardiovascular risk. Air pollution triggers anxiety through inflammation and oxidative stress. Indoor air is even poorer quality than outdoor air. Personal care products and household cleaners contain toxins that lead to anxiety.
Natural Treatment Remedies for Anxiety
Here are the steps we recommend if you suspect you have anxiety of have been diagnosed with this condition:
- See your holistic doctor – Your doctor’s first task is to see if your anxiety is caused by a medical condition. As a cardiologist, I take chest pain seriously. It can be a sign of a serious heart problem. I can also tell you that a fair amount of chest pain can be attributed to panic disorder. Your holistic doctor can do an exam and extensive blood testing to determine if you have a medical condition.
- Avoid pharmaceuticals – Anxiety is not caused by a lack of prescription drugs. These drugs have side effects that harm your body, and don’t provide solutions to anxiety. Some even cause anxiety. We are not deficient in pharmaceuticals, but are often deficient in nutrients.
- Eat the right foods – You must eat organic, Paleo foods for optimal physical and mental health. Most anxiety is caused by poor nutrition and environmental pollutants. Your body was engineered for optimal health with Paleo foods. Eat only organic as organic foods haven’t been poisoned with pesticides or genetically-modified.
- Minimize impacts of environmental pollutants – Control the impact of environmental pollutants by removing toxic chemicals from your household cleaners and personal care products. Using toxic-free cleaning and personal care products will greatly reduce your exposure to environmental pollutants. Here’s a list of things we use in our home.
- Be active – Yoga, meditation or a good bike ride are great ways to reduce anxiety and stress. Outdoor physical activity is a proven anxiety and stress relievers, as is yoga and meditation.
- Get the proper quantity and quality of sleep – Fatigue and poor sleep are often associated with anxiety. Make it a priority to get 8-9 hours of good sleep every day. Go to bed with the sundown and wake with the sunrise.
- Get sunshine – You need 30 minutes a day, preferably in the morning. Your body (as do most all other living things) needs sunlight to survive and thrive. Sunshine, and the vitamin D that it provides, is vital for good mental health.
- Get the stress out of your life – Nothing good in life happens without a healthy you. Stress not only creates anxiety, it can kill you. You must do whatever is necessary to remove stress for optimal health. Get a new job, get out of a toxic relationship, be more active. Do what it takes to get rid of stress.
- Take nutritional supplements – Poor nutrition is a root cause of anxiety in most people. Quality nutritional supplements can provide the support necessary for good physical and mental health. In addition to our Foundation 5, here are some ideas to rid the anxiety and achieve optimal mental health:
- Hydroxy Force – A hefty serving of B6, 9, and 12 in a formulation that works best for people of all genetic types.
- Max Mag – This form of magnesium gets into the brain and works magic. Magnesium is involved in hundreds of reactions in the body. So many are deficient.
- Daily Defense – Sometimes the body is overloaded with toxins and a good cleanse is just what the doctor ordered. Sometimes just a month of this product relieves symptoms of anxiety and stress. Often, people continue with Daily Defense for up to a year or longer.
- Relax– 1 scoop 2x per day in a tasty cherry flavored powder.