Poor sleep, known as insomnia, affects millions of people. It’s a sleep disorder with a variety of symptoms. All are characterized by difficulty falling and/or staying asleep.
Insomnia can be classified in two ways:
- Primary means there are sleep problems not associated with any other symptom.
- Secondary means that another health condition or substance is causing the sleep disorder.
Other variables with insomnia are how long it lasts and how often it occurs. Acute insomnia is short-term (one night to a few weeks), while chronic insomnia is long-term (3 nights a week for a month or longer).
Insomnia ruins lives.
What do I mean by ruining lives? Well, for one, poor sleep leads to fatigue, low energy, and tiredness. When you don’t sleep, you are not a good spouse, parent, child, or worker. Bad combination. The second negative factor about poor sleep is that cardiovascular risk is much higher in poor sleepers. That’s right. Poor sleep is linked to heart attacks, stroke, and cardiac death.
What Causes Insomnia?
Multiple things can cause insomnia and several may work together to keep you up at night. These include:
- Stress – Things like job change, divorce, issues at work, kids – they all can create stress that leads to insomnia.
- Environmental factors – EMF, noise, light and temperature can all disrupt sleep.
- Medications – Cold, allergy, asthma, depression, and high blood pressure medications may interrupt sleep.
- Disruption of normal sleep schedule – Changing time zones (jet lag) or work shifts can create insomnia.
- Emotional or physical issues
- Poor nutrition – Eating the wrong foods or too much sugar and caffeine.
- Environmental pollutants – Toxins in your mattress, the laundry soap used to clean your sheets, the air freshener in your bedroom, all poison your system and make it more difficult to sleep.
- Being inactive
- Lack of sunshine
Natural Treatment Remedies for Insomnia
Poor sleep quality can be detected on a sleep study where sleep apnea (pauses in breathing while sleeping) or restless leg syndrome (condition that causes the urge to move your leg) is diagnosed. If you think you suffer from one of these, check with your holistic doctor. You may need a sleep study.
Some forms of insomnia may not need treatment. Mild insomnia often resolves itself.
Here are other tips to resolve insomnia naturally:
- Go to sleep with the sunset and wake with the sunrise. Your body was built to sleep with this cycle.
- Make your sleeping area comfortable – Keep it dark, quiet and at the right temperature for you. Get an organic mattress to avoid toxins.
- No electronics in your sleeping area – That means no TV, no computer, no smartphone…nothing that gives off light. Avoid these items for at least two hours prior to sleeping.
- Eat the right foods – Your body was developed to eat organic Paleo foods. Follow the diet of our ancestors for good sleep. Stay away from sugar and caffeine.
- Get rid of environmental pollutants – Here’s a list of natural products we use in our home.
- Get sunshine – Sunshine is part of your body’s normal sleep-wake cycle. Keep your body in its normal rhythm. Early morning sunshine works best.
- Be physically active – Avoid the toxic cleaning chemicals of the gym and be active outdoors. Take a walk, play a sport, anything to be active. Sleep studies show those that do yoga sleep better.
- Avoid over-the counter and prescription medications – Look for natural solutions.
- Take nutritional supplements – In addition to our Foundation 5 supplements, here are 3 more options to help your insomnia. We have had personal and patient success with these products.
- Super B – B vitamins are fuel for your brain. When you brain has the tools to get the job done, you will sleep.
- Max Mag – This form of magnesium gets into your brain and works its magic. Magnesium is needed for hundreds of body functions. Sleep is one of them. Goodbye insomnia.
- Relax – A powder loaded with nutrients to calm down the system so you can fall asleep and stay asleep.
See Our Collection of Premium Supplements Effective Against Insomnia ►