Overview and Facts
Here is your ultimate guide to preventing the flu naturally, without over the counter or prescription medications.
The flu, also known as influenza, is a common viral infection that results in respiratory illness.
The flu is contagious and can spread via coughs, sneezes, or physical contact with an infected person.
Increased flu activity usually occurs between October and May (probably from lower levels of vitamin D). Peak flu season is between December and February (right during holiday season!).
Symptoms and Types
Symptoms of the flu include but are not limited to:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Muscle or body aches
- Gastrointestinal issues like vomiting or diarrhea (most common in children)
- Poor nutrition
- Lack of quality sleep
- Exposure to toxins commonly found in household cleaning products and personal care products
- Poor immune system function
- Exposure to infected individuals
- Other pre-existing health conditions
Diagnosis and Tests
The flu is diagnosed by clinical symptoms exhibited by the patient. These symptoms can include any of those mentioned above. Individuals who are infected tend to exhibit different symptoms.
There are also several flu tests that are available. The most common are called rapid influenza diagnostic tests (RIDTs). These tests detect parts of the virus (called antigens) that stimulate an immune response. You can often get false negatives with this test, so it is not as reliable as other tests. These tests tend to be better for children than adults.
There are also rapid molecular assays that detect virus genetic components. These are more accurate tests.
There are other tests, but typically these are the most popular tests conducted by doctors. They generally require the inside of your nose or throat be swabbed for analysis.
Most flu symptoms will not be tested. Typically, if you present any handful of the symptoms above you will be diagnosed with the flu. This is because diagnostic testing does not change how the flu will be treated.
Treatment and Care
Your action plan for fighting off the flu
- Boost your immune system with natural remedies and healthy foods. One of the best ways to prevent the flu is to build up your immune system and keep it strong during peak flu season. This is how your body fights off the flu (not through a synthetic vaccine). The immune system is your body’s defense system that determines what gets into your body and what doesn’t.
- Maximize your immunity with our Flu and Cold kit. We have both adult and children’s varieties available. This kit contains immune boost glandular product, Argentyn Silver, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, a probiotic and zinc to boost immunity and fight off disease. It comes with wellness and therapeutic dosing. Try dosing for wellness every day for prevention during flu season. There are many other ways to boost the immune system and fight off the flu naturally.
- Eat a healthy diet by following the Paleo Pyramid. This food plan focuses on fresh, organic and nutrient dense vegetables and fruits along with grass-fed meats and healthy fats to support your body’s immune system.
Other helpful things you can do to boost your immunity include:
- Get active outdoors.
- Get sunshine daily.
- Remove toxins from your household and products.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Ensure you don’t have any nutrient deficiencies. Try intracellular nutrient testing.
- Get enough sleep. Eight hours of quality sleep each day at sundown to sunrise.
- Lower your stress.
- Don’t smoke and work for a toxin/chemical/odor free environment.
- Keep good hygiene for you and your family members. While a strong immune system is the number way to fight off the flu you can also help your immune system out by decreasing exposure to flu germs in your environment.
- Stay away from people who are sick with the flu. The flu is transmitted through the respiratory system, so it will enter through your nose or mouth. Simply staying away from sick people helps to prevent the particles from infecting you too.
- Get enough sleep. Again, getting enough sleep is needed to prevent the flu. At least 8-9 hours every night is imperative. Go to sleep with the sundown and awake with the sunrise like our ancestors. When your body is deficient in sleep, it becomes weakened and cannot ward off disease like it should. A study conducted by the National Institutes of Health found that people who got seven or less hours of sleep were more likely to get a cold than those who got eight hours1.
- Think twice about the flu shot. The flu “vaccine” is not the way to fight the flu. There are many reasons to avoid getting the annual flu shot. Number one reason being that it actually weakens your immune system. To prevent the flu, your immune system needs to be strong. Other reasons for avoiding the flu shot are that it contains harmful toxins that further destroy your innate immunity, it doesn’t work, and there are better natural alternatives and tips for preventing the flu.
Your action plan for healing from the flu
- Stay home. People are generally contagious the day before symptoms begin and up to five days after. If you start feeling ill, take some time off work to rest and recuperate. This is one of the best ways to heal from the flu the fastest. The best thing you can do is to get extra sleep and rest. Limit intense activities like strenuous workouts during this healing period, as well.
- Get sleep. Getting enough shuteye is imperative to immune system function and flu prevention. Sleep deficiencies weaken the immune system and it’s ability to fight off the flu. Get at least 8-9 hours of sleep to aid in a speedy recovery. Check out our tips for better sleep today.
- Take your supplements. While the Flu and Cold kit is aimed at preventing the flu, it also good for recovering from the flu and speeding up the healing process. This kit is loaded with essential supplements for boosting the immune system and kicking the flu out of your system, naturally. Immune boost, Argentyn Silver, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc and a powerful probiotic all help your body to heal from the flu in a timely manner. Do the therapeutic dosing to fight off the flu.
- Make immune boosting juice. Sometimes your body just needs that extra nutritional immune boost. This uniquely crafted juice we created is filled with turmeric, garlic and lemon juice to boost the function of the immune system and help you recover faster.
- Drink lots of fluids. Drinking enough fluids daily is key to ensure proper healing. Water, tea and warm bone broth all help the body to heal. If you’re vomiting, sweating or have a fever, be sure to add minerals into your water (or drink mineralized water) to prevent dehydration.
Living With and Managing the Flu
- Hydrate often
- Sleep well
- Nourish yourself with a Paleo diet rich in immune-boosting nutrients
- Take supplements to support your body
- Reduce stress
- Allow your body the time to heal properly
- Manage your other health conditions
Resources and Tools to Assist in Flu Prevention
- Get enough rest
- See a chiropractor regularly
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Take time to sauna to detoxify the body
- Take an Epsom salt bath to treat aches and detoxify the body
- Use the Flu and Cold kit to prevent and treat the flu naturally
- Try natural lozenges to soothe a sore throat
- Use Argentyn Silver nasal spray or salt sprays to discharge mucous
- Stay healthy all year (especially flu season) with our Foundation 5 nutrient plan
Contact us at the Drs. Wolfson if you need further natural flu support. We offer intravenous vitamin therapy to ensure your body is getting high dose support.
Follow these tips and fight back naturally!