Wild-caught seafood is one of the healthiest foods there is. We love wild-caught salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring and oysters.
When sourcing seafood, seek out fish that are wild caught, look for small fish (these are lower in mercury) and choose fatty types of fish (these are the richest sources of the essential omega 3 fatty acids).
Seafood is how we get omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are essential to optimal health and our bodies cannot make them. Therefore, it is imperative we get them in the diet and in supplement form (hello, fish oil).
Below is a list of the top ten canned sources of seafood that are wild-caught, nutritious and BPA-free. Enjoy.
- Wild Planet Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon Wild Planet is our go-to seafood brand. This sustainably-caught Alaskan salmon tastes great and is highly nutritious. Salmon is one of the richest sources of omega 3 fatty acids.
- Raincoast Trading Wild Sockeye Salmon Raincoast Trading company is another great brand for sourcing canned seafood, especially this salmon product. This wild-caught salmon comes from the Pacific Northwest waters and is rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
- Vital Choice Wild Pacific Sockeye Salmon Vital Choice is a reliable and sustainable company that we trust for seafood options. We often recommend many of our patients to order through this company. Vital Choice wild sockeye salmon is one of the purest ocean fish there is with a great taste.
- Wild Planet Wild Sardines These Wild Planet sardines are caught in the North Pacific and provide an abundance of omega 3 fats, minerals, vitamin D and protein. Try them for appetizers, snacks or dinner.
- Wild Planet Wild Sardines with Lemon This variety of sardines from Wild Planet provides a nice lemon and olive oil flavor with all the nutritional benefits that comes from wild-caught sardines.
- Vital Choice Wild Sardines Vital Choice sardines are low in sodium, full-flavored and rich in omega 3 fatty acids. They are also packed in purified water to ensure freshness.
- King Oscar Mediterranean Sardines These wild-caught Norwegian brisling sardines are packed in extra virgin olive oil and rich in omega 3 fatty acids. They are reminiscent of Mediterranean flavors with black olives, red peppers, garlic, and herbs of Provence.
- Season Filets of Mackerel Mackerel is a rich natural source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids. In fact, this oily fish has one of the highest concentrations of omega 3’s. This Season product is packed in olive oil.
- Wild Planet White Anchovies Anchovies are a smaller fish than sardines with a lighter texture. This Atlantic caught fish has a mild flavor and lots of omega 3 fats. These anchovies are packed in organic olive oil.
- Crown Prince Smoked Oysters with Red Chili Peppers These tasty oysters from Crown Prince contain just three ingredients: smoked oysters, pure olive oil and red chili peppers.
Not all seafood is good for you. Focus on healthy options including small, fatty fish that are rich in omega 3 fatty acids like the options we selected above!