8 Ways to Get Rid of Migraines
Headaches are extremely common in society, and quite frankly, the situation is getting worse. Millions of people are affected on a daily basis with incapacitating migraines. Symptoms can range from severe head discomfort on one or both side, often associated with nausea and other complaints. This can wreck lives.
Obese people are more likely to suffer from recurrent migraine. Lose the weight and watch the symptoms disappear.
From a cardiology standpoint, studies show that people who suffer from migraines have a higher rate of heart attacks and strokes. The cause of these severe headaches appears to be blood vessel dysfunction. The good news is, it can be fixed.
Here are 8 ways to get rid of migraines. And guess what? None of them involve using pharmaceuticals.
1) Eat Paleo. Food sensitivities are common in migraine patients. Gluten and dairy are common culprits. Also, artificial sweeteners and MSG are linked to migraine. On the flip side, almonds and walnuts have been shown to improve blood vessel function. Beets and other leafy greens work in a similar fashion. Know what you are eating. You can get food testing from your local natural doctor, but we suggest keeping a food diary. What did you eat and drink for the meal or two prior to the migraine? Stay well hydrated. Our patients have resolved migraines just by increasing their water intake. Caffeine may help OR hurt migraines. Give it a break for a while and see if symptoms resolve.
2) Avoid environmental pollutants. Allergens, household chemicals, and air pollution all contribute to migraine. Work on cleaning up your environment and reap all of the amazing benefits. Consider a quality air purifier. Avoid tobacco and second-hand smoke. Both are associated with migraine. This is an opportunity to talk about EMF exposure. Big problem here on many levels. Computers, mobile phones and devices, smart meters, microwave ovens, cell towers etc. This list is increasing. According to neurosurgeon Jack Kruse, artificial light is one of the biggest problems society is facing. Do your migraines go away on vacation? This is a sign that your house (or your job) could be the culprit.
3) Exercise. Physical activity, yoga, and meditation all decrease migraine frequency and severity. Get outside and get sunshine. Stand barefoot on the earth and soak up the electrons.
4) Chiropractic care decreases migraines. Blood vessel health relies on the autonomic nervous system. Chiropractic shines with autonomics. Same with a quality osteopath. Other physical medicine techniques, massage, and acupuncture provide relief in many patients.
5) Supplements proven to work include omega-3 fish oil, magnesium, vitamin B2, and vitamin B6. Give these products a try. If they work great. If they don’t, stop them. This is true of any supplement.
6) Get your Z’s. Sleep 8-9 hours a night for a proven way to reduce migraine occurrence. Our Paleo ancestors went to sleep with the sundown and awoke with the sunrise. We would be wise to do the same. The average time Americans go to sleep is 11:45. Don’t let that be you. No electronics at night, get the cell phone out of the room, turn off the wifi. Read a book (by candlelight from a beeswax candle?)
7) Manage stress, anger, depression, and anxiety. All of these occur in migraineurs. If you have stress in your life, get rid of it. People who continue to interfere with your life plan, get rid of them. Speak with about these issues with your natural doctor, therapist, or psychologist. Psychiatrists are pill-pushers. Don’t bother.
8) Get tested. If the above do not work, see your local natural doctor. Heavy metal toxicity, nutrient deficiencies, nutrient overload (not common), food sensitivities, low glutathione, etc. should all be assessed. Genetic testing can be helpful as well.
There is a cause and there is a cure. Find the cause and you will be cured. We would love to hear what works for you.
Become a Wolf Pack Insider for free and get access to our articles and guides to live healthy naturally, without sickness, disease or Big Pharma meds. You'll learn all about disease prevention, natural treatment remedies, tasty healthy foods and how to detox your life.